Re: [AD] Using HPET in Linux/Unix?

On 2005-08-26, Chris <chris.kcat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 02:55 am, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Basically, it does just what Allegro timers do, right?
>
> That's how it sounds to me.

It sounds more like the AL_TIMERs from the new_api_branch, and it would
be nice to use them to implement AL_TIMERs.  We still need to be able to
fall back to threads, though.

> > Shouldn't it be done as a separate timer driver?
>
> Of course. But what I'm saying is that we could move the sound callback
> function to a user timer (which can use HPET or threads), while leaving the X
> input/graphics callbacks in the bg manager, which will continue to use
> threads only.

I agree about untangling everything.  SIGALRM support is dropped in the
new_api_branch so we no longer need to coalesces everything into one or
two threads.

Peter