Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2.0 RC2

On 2005-08-28, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2005-08-28, Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's been uploaded.  Elias or Grzegorz needs to update the
> > web pages.
>
> RC1 wasn't announced on the web. I presumed it was close to being
> the final thing being released shortly. So, should I put a notice
> about RC1 or leave it "hidden".

I think it should be left hidden.  I made the patch package against
beta4, for example.

> Practically, I see no difference
> between beta or RC, if things continue this way.

Is that your way of saying this release process is stupid? :-)

I think it's a combination of various factors:
- being wary of reaching 4.2.0, after which we have less flexibility in
  what changes we want to make;
- always wanting to stick in "one last feature/bugfix";
- starting too early with the betas (IMHO most of them could have just
  been WIPs, but we did get a lot more bug reports);
- being a bit sloppy.

I think we're very close now though.  Can we agree that the next release
ought to be the last release before 4.2.0, or 4.2.0 itself?

Peter