Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2.0 RC2

On 2005-08-29, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2005-08-29, Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Practically, I see no difference between beta or RC, if things
> > > continue this way.
> >
> > Is that your way of saying this release process is stupid? :-)
> Hell, even the guys from SDL announced recently a "prerelease" of a
> minor increment update. Or recent Linux policy. We are all going to
> die under the invisible weight of perfection if things keep this way.
> I guess I've been using CVS for too long.

I think CVS is the cause but my conclusion is different.  Making
releases has always been tedious.  Without a version control system, we
are forced to make releases just to synchronise between developers.
Once that need is removed, the only purpose for making releases is
end-users.  Couple that with a dislike of making releases and not
wanting to look bad for stuff ups, and you have a recipe for longer
release cycles.

> > I think we're very close now though.  Can we agree that the next
> > release ought to be the last release before 4.2.0, or 4.2.0 itself?
>
> I'm more interested to know any plans about 4.0.x maintenance plans.
> There are people concerned it doesn't compile with latest versions
> of gcc or some other compiler. And after all, that's what x.x.1
> increments are supposed to be for, fix minor issues.

CVS does not make backporting changes easy.  If there is a nice tool for
it please point it out (I haven't looked yet).  Otherwise making a 4.0.4
release would not be hard.

Peter