Re: [AD] set_config_file jumping around on OS X bundles

> a year. The binary compatibility means, if you have a 4.2 DLL, it will
> work with any .exe requring a 4.2 DLL (no matter if it is older or
> newer).

I thought that was the 4.0 thinking?

"Once Allegro 4.2 is released, we plan to maintain *backward*
compatibility at the Application Binary Interface level for the
subsequent releases of the 4.2.x series. For example, that means you
will be able to use an executable compiled using version 4.2.0 with
version 4.2.5 or 4.2.41 of the dynamically linked library"

It doesn't say that a 4.2.5 games works with 4.2.0 DLL. Nor should it.
The 4.0 terminology specifically mentioned backward and forward
compatibility via examples. The word "backward" was added to the 4.2
docs, and the example of forward compatibility was removed.

Forward compatibility:  4.2.5 games will work on the 4.2.0 DLL.
Backward compatibility: 4.2.0 games will work on the 4.2.5 DLL.

I'm confused on whether or not any change of policy has taken place
for the 4.2.0 series. I know at one point, only backward compatibility
was being considered, but now is forward as well?

I know in Windows that developers don't always guarantee that older
versions of the DLLs work with newer versions of the applications.

Kalle Last wrote:
>Considering that 4.3 will be a major update, probably one the biggest
in Allegro
>history I don't think 4.4 can be released so soon.

Yes, that is what concerns me as well.

--
Matthew Leverton