Re: [AD] [ alleg-Bugs-1223257 ] Mac OSX allegro will not read config files

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 20:56 +0100, Peter Hull wrote:

> I don't think this is a bug. From my interpretation of the
> documentation, Allegro will search various paths, including the
> executable directory, _only_ for the allegro.cfg file. If you specify
> your own config file, as exconfig does, it will look in the place
> that you specified, so if you gave it a path-less filename, it will
> look in the current directory only.
>
> I think an argument could be made that this behaviour is rather
> useless, and it should search the executable directory, that is not
> what the docs say.

We really need a way to look into various system specific places. E.g.
in unix, under /usr[/local]/share/program-name/. And under Windows,
there's probably also a way to find the location where game specific
single or multi user data are placed. OSX I heared has a yet other way,
where the data are inside the installation file or something..

One way to make this work would be to just have all file functions check
all those places by using some system driver function, if a relative
path (or no path at all) is used.

Is this important enough to be done before 4.2.0? As a recent bug report
on Allegro showed, Allegro games are currently not really possible to
install without adding platform specific code.. so it is quite a serious
issue.

--
Elias Pschernig