Re: [AD] ModeX fix

On 2005-06-18, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 18 June 2005 12:24, Peter Wang wrote:
> > Attached is my proposal.  It adds a new file that defines
> > split_modex_screen() if GFX_MODEX is defined.  The actual work is done
> > by the function pointed to by _split_modex_screen_ptr, which is set when
> > the gfx_modex or gfx_xtended drivers initialise.
>
> Ah, right! It's a bit like what I'd originally intended but somehow
> couldn't implement cleanly this morning. Looks good.
>
> > I haven't actually tested it yet,
>
> I'll try testing it later this weekend, although as I said, I don' think I
> get ModeX anyway.

Here's updated patches.  The first patch is the same as before, with
comments.  I've tested it here and it seems alright.

> > and I'd like to deprecate
> > split_modex_screen() too.
>
> Yes!

The second patch deprecates split_modex_screen() and removes any trace
of them from the examples and documentation.

Commit them one after the other, if they're okay.

Peter

PS. No one seems to have noticed that the ModeX driver cannot work in
C-only mode, and apparently never has!  It uses asm bank switchers,
which have a different calling convention to what is expected in C-only
mode.  A few more #ifdefs in modex.c can't hurt...

The VBE/AF driver appears to have the same problem with bank switchers
as the ModeX driver, so should be disabled in C-only mode as well.

Is there a variable we could use to check whether the running copy of
Allegro is C-only?  Otherwise there could be trouble with alleg-vga.so
registering the ModeX driver (say, compiled in asm mode)... not that
anyone would do that.