Re: [AD] Patch for the documentation of polygon_z_normal()

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 15:52 +0200, Andrei Ellman wrote:

> > Maybe also add a short example code how to get the normal of a triangle.
> > I mean, if someone doesn't know the above information already, then that
> > person certainly also doesn't know how to get the normal in the first
> > place.
>
> I think that if I give an example for how to use the alternative method
> which does not use polygon_z_normal(), then it crosses the line for
> being part of the docs for polygon_z_normal(). Do you think that a
> discussion on back-face culling should go in the bit at the begining of
> the "3D math routines" section, or in the FAQ? Bear in mind that we
> probably don't want to turn the Allegro docs into a 3D-graphics tutorial.

Hm, true. I think, back-face culling is something basic enough to
include there though (as opposed to e.g. lighting). But don't know.

In any case, don't forget to re-submit a patch for the polygon_z_normal
docs with all the other things mentioned so far :)

> Also, do you think that one of the 3D examples needs to use the
> "camera->poly dot normal" method instead of polygon_z_normal()? If so,
> I'd suggest the one with the most vertices. Also, do you think Allegro
> needs an example of a light-sourced gouraud-shaded object that can be
> rotated? If so, I could supply an example. I wrote such a program for
> AllegroPak (my Allegro add-on), and if I strip away the Z-buffering and
> multiple-objects, I can easily convert it to Allegro.

An example like that certainly would be nice. I remember, something like
that even was the example program Peter made for his Allegro 5 attempt
back then :) Oh, and if we think we get too much 3d examples that way,
we can throw out another one like exstars instead. That doesn't
demonstrate anything I think. (Hm, and ex12bit must go for 4.2.0 as
well, since it is broken in windows windowed mode.)

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>