[AD] allegro-config on OS X

I came across a strange thing today. `allegro-config --libs` yields the libraries for the last variant of Allegro that I installed. i.e if I do
sudo make install DEBUGMODE=1
sudo make install
then allegro-config --libs gives me -L/usr/local/lib -lalleg-4.2.0 -lalleg-main -framework Cocoa

If I do
sudo make install
sudo make install DEBUGMODE=1
then allegro-config --libs gives me -L/usr/local/lib -lalld-4.2.0 -lalld-main -framework Cocoa

If I explicitly put allegro-config --libs release or allegro-config --libs debug, then I get the requested variant.

I suspect, though I haven't tested it yet, that a similar thing happens for make STATICLINK=1 install: if that was the last thing installed, allegro-config --libs defaults to the static version. You have to specify --shared or --static to guarantee the version that is used.

Is this 'defaulting' behaviour correct and if so, is it desirable? I always assumed that allegro-config --libs was a synonym for allegro-config --libs release.

Hope that made sense,

Pete