Re: [AD] [TODO] Accessor functions for global variables

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 17:45 -0700, Aldo Nunez wrote:
> Hi,
>   A set of getter (and setter where appropriate) functions for global
> variables such as "char key[]" and "BITMAP* screen" would be nice. The
> reason is that there are some development environments where these are
> not easily available. Here's one example:
>   The Digital Mars suite of compilers (C/C++/D) for Windows don't
> support importing global variables from DLLs through import libraries.
> To get around this, one has to either:
> 1. create an extra code file that dynamically loads the DLL and
> provides the getter functions for the rest of the project, or
> 2. create a separate DLL that can link in a different environment
> (e.g., MSVC) and so provide getters.

Yes, all versions after 4.2.x will have no more globals. But it will
probably be a month or two before the first usable 4.3.x versions are
released.

If you are talking about Allegro 4.2.0 - then I guess it is too late,
it's about to be released. But then, some getter functions hardly can
break anything, so personally, I wouldn't mind. It would have no effect
on the things already tested in the 3 betas, and getter functions don't
need testing.

Anyway, do you have a patch ready?

--
Elias Pschernig