Re: [AD] Unicode limitations

On 2005-03-30, guilt <karthikkumar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just hit upon this idea .. for the unicode and font rendering
> routines... if we do manage to make a vtable based interface,
> we should then find a way of applying "production rules" to
> glyphs of certain languages and locales, (tamil and kannada
> included!) ... The whole point is, some glyph sequences may have
> to be concatenated together to make sense.. while it might appear
> sensible to keep them written horizontal (left to right), there
> are some limitations in making text "look" other ways .. for
> instance, scroll top to bottom ... in that case, we shouldn't
> do it integer by integer .. rather, glyph by glyph.. and a glyph
> might be a sequence of one or more integers ...
>
> Well, I just got this idea.. anybody with a similiar language
> limitation can let us know what they feel about this idea.

Sounds like the kind of internal change users will get for free
using our current text_printf_vertical()... err, no, we just provide
functions for left to right text output. Even if you provide the
code, I wonder if it is such a useful addition to the library. The
multi language support is quite basic (a few people have complained
about this), but then, games don't tend to have massive ammounts
of texts in them. Just look how a few texts of the demo game are
made... plain bitmaps.