Re: [AD] Cross-compiling, and related outstanding issues

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 22:30 +0200, Julien Cugnière wrote:
> Elias Pschernig a écrit :
> > A proper solution to this would be switching to automake.. but then, I
> > was today playing around a bit with automake, and it doesn't seem to
> > make things much easier - just maybe a tiny bit :|
>
> Ditching make entirely is what would make things easier (can you tell I hate
> make :-)
>
> Newer construction tools, such as SCons (www.scons.org), handle dependencies
> automagically. They usually also provide a real programming language (python
> in the case of SCons), which makes it easy to add whatever build steps takes
> your fancy, instead of all the hacks with sed, grep, runner and co that the
> current make machinery is so fond of.
>
> Such a change would require quite a bit of work though, and no build tool is
> as common as make is...

Can SCons output a makefile? What we can't really do is expecting
end-users to install SCons or Python or whatever. But if it is just
needed to create a makefile, and the user then can run make.. I'd try it
out (seeing how automake really is quite limited and hard to use :|).

--
Elias Pschernig