Re: [AD] Framerate under the 4.1.x WIP Windows builds is mysteriously slow.

Elias Pschernig wrote:

> No - it"s simply a variable increased in a timer. Not much point using
>  it for anything, you can as well create your own timer.

I thought that on hardware that supported vertical-retrace interrupts, retrace_count would automatically synch itself with the card's retraces. If retrace_count is nothing more than an inaccurate timer that is not updated as often as it should be, then there does not seem to be much point in using it.

Incidentally, I used to crerate a timer of my own instead of use retrace_count. I once installed a program of mine on a friend's machine that uses Linux. It was the first time I had seen my program run on Linux (previously, I've seen it run on Windows and DOS). It used Allegro 4.0.3. The program ran normally, but there appeared to be a shear that consisted of a vertical line moving upwards very slowly and then starting from the bottom (it took about 5-10 seconds). If I disabled the vsync() command, there would still be noticable shearing, but then, the shearing would be jumping around all over the place. The conclusion that I got from that was that my own timer was ever so slightly off (and that vsync() was also inaccurate in this case), so I decided to use retrace_count in the hope that it would synchronise to the monitor's refresh-rate if possible (I never did get to test the retrace_count version of that program on my friend's machine).

AE.