Re: [AD] Patch to thanks._tx and demo.c

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 18:36 -0300, Marcio Fialho wrote:

> Unfortunately, the solution proposed by Grzegorz doesn't work, unless
> we edit demo.dat and update TITLE_FONT.  The TITLE_FONT in demo.dat
> (dated 2004.10.03) provides meaningful glyphs only for the 7-bit ASCII
> characters (even though it has 224 glyphs, all glyphs for 8-bit
> characters are blank). If this font were complete, the solution
> proposed by Grzegorz would work fine (I've tested it, replacing
> TITLE_FONT by END_FONT and the accented characters were displayed
> fine).
>
> After greping thanks._tx I've found only 3 accented characters.
> Allegro has many contributors, a lot of them are foreigners. It seems
> to me to be unlikely that out of 231+ contributors only 3 have names
> with accented characters. So I think we should drop these accents (by
> the way, many foreign authors might have their names written in
> thanks._tx with accented characters reduced to their 7-bit
> equivalents). I'm sending a patch to thanks._tx, against the last
> weekly CVS snapshot.
>
> At least, this would be the easiest solution. A nicer solution would
> be to fix demo.dat, but does three names justify adding some extra
> kbytes to demo.dat to save accented characters in TITLE_FONT ?  I
> think not, and chances are this demo game might be replaced by
> something better (see message
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11268528 ).  I
> don't mind to have the accent removed from my name. Even though it's
> written as Márcio, in many documents (in my country), it appears as
> Marcio (without the accent).

I'm working on splitting up demo.c into multiple files right now, I'll
try to see if I can do anything. One idea, although not pretty, would be
to write the names with Allegro's default font, which should have all
the accented characters.

> I'm attaching the program I've used to grep thanks._tx to find those 3
> accents (source code in Portuguese: acento.c) If you wish a translated
> version to English, let me know.
>
> P.S: Let me know when Allegro 4.2 beta will be released. I'll have
> time to test it's DJGPP version on weekends.

First beta should be out in 2 days, April 1st.

--
Elias Pschernig