Re: [AD] Allegro generalization/extension mechanism

guilt wrote:
IMHO, It adds more value to it. But I'd like to listen to everyone's
arguments on this one.. Don't you have anything to add, AJ?

i want what is less time consuming.
if i have to download seperate packages, that could possibly have version control/dependacy issues; then i would be most unhappy.

one of the reasons i like allegro; it does more than SDL, its a complete package.. you can download a single package, and its all included. i would like to see more add-ons included like PNG, audio input, video playback etc.. however i know how much work is involved in each of these. as the current developer workload versus developer time is currently too high, any attempt to move these into the domain of developer maintainership is a bad idea.

for new additions:  if something can be an add-on,  it should be.
for current codebase:  it is much easier to just maintain it as is.

trying to breakup the current lib is not going to add a huge amount of value, it will cost alot of developer time, it will cost alot of tech suppport time, it will cost alot of hand holding newbies trying to figure out which packages they need.

all this is a distraction for the current developers.
even this discussion is a distraction from the real issues.
here i am writing about writing about this topic instead of doing useful work.

too few developers, too many "designers", too few (good) managers.
i thing i have realised laterly is the quality of the managers we currently have, and just how vital their work is, unfortunetly they are also the most talented developers, which means they can only be doing 1 thing at a time.. either managing, or writing code.

if the amount of management required to improve allegro keeps growing, and the decay of active code generating developers continues, then we are going to have a crisis to deal with.

the balance, as i see it, is currently not able to invest time/effort into an allegro re-design at present.

aj.