Re: [AD] Allegro generalization/extension mechanism

On Monday 14 March 2005 17:34, AJ wrote:
> one of the reasons i like allegro;  it does more than SDL, its a
> complete package.. you can download a single package, and its all
> included.

This is a good point, and one which I've meant to bring to the table when
the next Allegro vs SDL thread comes up, specifically when someone
complains that Allegro should be more like SDL. I'm not saying there
aren't good things in SDL that we can learn from, but very clearly,
Allegro is not SDL, and this is why it has a reason to exist at all: if it
were just like SDL, well then clearly one of those two libraries would be
redundant (I think Allegro is older than SDL, but at this point that is
irrelevant).
So breaking it up just because is not a good reason to do it.

> each of these.  as the current developer workload versus developer time
> is currently too high, any attempt to move these into the domain of
> developer maintainership is a bad idea.

As I'm fond of saying, if people want major additions or changes, let them
contribute the code or changes for it or else wait patiently.

> too few developers, too many "designers", too few (good) managers.
> i thing i have realised laterly is the quality of the managers we
> currently have, and just how vital their work is, unfortunetly they are
> also the most talented developers, which means they can only be doing 1
> thing at a time.. either managing, or writing code.

I agree.

> the balance, as i see it, is currently not able to invest time/effort
> into an allegro re-design at present.

Totally agree. It's particularly ill timed if we want to get a 4.2 RC1 out
before the end of the month.
Things have also been discussed and planned (but not implemented,
obviously) for Allegro5. No need to have a lot of lengthy discussions
again if clever people have already made decisions and drafts before.

Evert