Re: [AD] Building Allegro for MSVC using the latest Cygwin is broken

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
You should probably move the Cygwin directory to the end of teh search path so that it is searched after the MSVC directory. Of course, in that case make may inadvertently refer to Microsoft's make

In MSVC 6, MSVC-make is called NMAKE.EXE , and there does not appear to be any programs (apart from LINK.EXE) that clash with any of the standard utilities. I do not know if any versions of MSVC newer than 6 have any programs in the MSVC bin directory that are likely to clash with some unix utilities. I think that some MSVC-addons might install programs to the MSVC/bin directory. Moving the MSVC-path to the front might cause clashes if an MSVC/bin directory contains a program that's named the same as a UNIX utility used during the build-process.

, so it may be better to
rename Cygin's link.exe during the course of compiling Allegro.

link.exe comes as part of the cygwin core-utils, and I'm not keen on renaming one of the core utilities. Someone might forget to rename it back to i's original name once they finish building allegro.

Three more possible solutions I would suggest.

1. Calling the MSVC executables by the absolute pathname at the makefile-level. 2. The program runner.exe that is built during the Allegro build-process should call the MSVC executables by the absolute pathname. 3. Runner.exe should locally change the order of the search-path so that the MSVC/bin directory is first (although this might cause problems with any programs in MSVC/bin named the same as unix utilities).

Any comments?

AE.