[AD] Re: [ alleg-Bugs-1154473 ] Mac OS X Instal (4.1.18)

On Monday, March 7, 2005, at 11:12 am, alleg-developers-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Perhaps we could create symlinks to the files in /usr/local/bin
from /usr/bin on MacOSX if we don't want to install there? Although in
that case it wouldn't matter if we do or not, I guess... anyway, I think Allegro should work out of the box on MacOSX without problems. So if Apple considers it good form to install to /usr/ rather than /usr/local/ I think
we should follow their guidelines

Deciding where to install is what ./configure does, but IIRC you don't use configure for OSX, just fix.sh.

When I do gcc -v -E - </dev/null , /usr/local/include is in the list of directories to search (in OSX 10.2 and 10.3), but the directory doesn't exist in 10.3, as you said.

I think it should go in /usr/local/ , creating the directories if needed, and maybe fix.sh could check your path.

The 'true' Macintosh OS X way is not to have includes or lib at all, but to use Frameworks. Therefore I wouldn't worry about 'good form' in this case.

Pete

ps. Evert - have you been doing a bit of spring cleaning in your Inbox? About a dozen postings from you today!