Re: [AD] load_font

> Besides sizing I can think of anti-alising,
> bold/underline/italics/strike-through. Some font types support different
> anti-aliasing/hinting methods.

Couldn't you do anti-aliasing by simply changing the vtable to use a
different renderer? The same could work for either of the others, I guess,
but less elegantly.

> Hm, and things like changing character
> spacing. Querying ascend/descend would be useful sometimes as well.

Sounds reasonable.

> Oh, and mirroring/rotating/shearing of fonts definitely would be useful.

That's a bit too complicated, I think... although, how would a mirrored
font work? Just mirror each character, or the entire string?
draw_sprite_h_flip could be used for those, I guess...

> What I think is more important, is better addons. E.g. alfont supports a
> lot of stuff, but defined its own ALFONT type, and made a myriad of
> single functions, instead of e.g. a function alfont_set_aa(font) or
> alfont_set_bold(font).

Yup. This was actually my inspiration for looking into this. See also the
thread I started on Allegro.cc about this, http://www.allegro.cc/forums/
view_thread.php?_id=445268

> vtable, but if the vtable encourages addon writers to fill everything
> in, maybe it's a good idea to do it :)

My thoughts exactly. :)

Evert