Re: [AD] msvc7 compiler options

> here is what needs to be done,  i am not very familiar with how to setup
> the makefiles to pass this data.. i hope someone else can figure it
> out..

Basically, you would set options with a line like
SOMEVAR=value
and check if options are set using
ifdef SOMEVAR
endif
or to check if not,
ifndef SOMEVAR
endif

> i also think this could be added for Athlon and P4:
>
> -arch:SSE
>
> and this for AMD64, P4:
>
> -arch:SSE2
>

> the arch instructions could be put on the TARGET_ARCH_EXCL makefile
> define.

Hmm... I'm not sure how this works for the other options, but then we'd
need to check what sort of platform the user has requested. What I mean is,
if the user runs
make TARGET_ARCH_EXCL=p4
we would need to add -arch:sse2 manually?

> potential problem:  using the -GB compiler option genreates code for
> PPro/P2/P3, what if the end-user is running a P1 ?

The code won't run - meaning that we probably shouldn't do this for the
public binary release of the library.
On the other hand, very few people will be using plain pentiums by now, so
maybe it's ok to have the official binary assume a more advanced processor
and tell people to compile their own if they want plain pentium support?
Hmm... that will give potential problems when people distribute binaries
without the DLL and point to Allegro's download site for the DLL... people
trying to run the game on their Pentium won't nescessarily be able to
compile the DLL themselves...
Thoughts?

Evert