Re: [AD] Custom packfiles

On Saturday 01 January 2005 05:37, Peter Wang wrote:
> BTW, I found that if we drop support for old-style packfile encryption
> then the LZSS compression/decompression code can be completely decoupled
> from packfiles (I have done it in my local copy).  What do you guys
> think about that?  New-style encryption was introduced in 3.9.30.

I think code modularity is good. I don't know this part of Allegro at all,
personally, though. Does the grabber automatically write files in the new
encryption scheme, even if they used the older compression scheme
previously? If so, I suppose it's ok - if it is listed in big bold writing
in the release notes.
Strictly speaking, we're breaking backward compatibility here in the sense
that we can't guarentee that code written prior to Allegro 4.0 can simply
be recompiled and ran using the same datafiles. I doubt it's a problem in
practice in this case though...

Evert