Re: [AD] Re: [AL] allegro DTD

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 23:26 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > (I'm not sure why we aren't using DocBook to begin with...)
>
> I dunno. It was duscussed at length on more than one occasion, maybe check the
> archive?

The argument on the A5 list was, that it isn't suited for API
documentation in different formats, more for writing books. I don't know
anything about it myself, but I guess, since we have XML now (which will
be generated from the new allegro tex, just to make hand editing
possible), there should be no problem using docbook for the formats in
which it makes sense.

The main advantage I see with having the XML stage is, that the thing is
modifieable again, as opposed to makedoc.c, on which I hacked many hours
just to realize many more would be needed to create certain things with
it :P (e.g. proper PDF output).

The new _tx format should be a lot simpler and improved compared to the
old. It will not contain any output format specifics (which is half of
the commands in the old), and allow arbitrary nesting of sections. And,
direct parsing of it should never be necessary, since there's the
utility to convert it to XML, which everything else can with 0-cost
parsing :)

--
Elias Pschernig