Re: [AD] Optimized blitting between color depths

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 21:22 +0100, Sven Sandberg wrote:
> It seems this patch makes things faster in some cases, and slower in
> other. The code for the slower cases is unchanged, so it's a bit strange
> it becomes slower. It could have to do with code alignment, etc, so
> maybe rearranging the code by trial and error could improve the
> situation. But I don't have time to do this. Should I commit now, or
> just wait until someone wants to improve it?

Ideally, we would have more test results. For me, it always was faster,
except in the case where there should be no change - but there it was
very fast (between 1-3 ms/call, so faster than all the other results).
So probably things like code alignement/whatever only played a
significant role there. With only my result, I'd say, apply it - it will
speed up the cases where it brings something, and the case of normal
blitting is slower for some reason. Actually, should have let in the
case of non-conversion-blitting as well just to have a reference of
values which are guaranteed to not change.

A bigger problem is Milan's results (many thanks for running it btw.) -
in his case, the dithered and keep_trans cases all are slower with the
patch - if I interpret them right. So just the opposite of my results.
Or maybe the "patched"/"not patched" is swapped?

Can you post your detail results as well? And maybe someone else? I must
say, I'm somewhat puzzled so far.

--
Elias Pschernig