Fwd: Re: [AD] Mouse cusor documentation

Subject: Re: [AD] Mouse cusor documentation
Date: Wednesday 06 October 2004 7:20 am
From: Chris <kcat@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: rpatters@xxxxxxxxxx

For some reason, SourceForge has blacklisted strangesoft's emails so I
can't send emails directly. Thanks for kazzmir for forwarding the first,
and CGames for this. Hopefully strangesoft will be removed the blacklist
soon enough.

Elias Pschernig wrote:
> All I think should be there is a
> way to not have to display a software cursor from a timer in order to
> know if a HW cursor can be used, as is the current design.

If the mouse is being drawn from a timer, the HW_MOUSE flag bit will
never be set. The HW_MOUSE bit will only be set when its being used (or
if show_mouse(NULL) is set and the current pointer is "legal").

> That's what I'm talking about - I don't want to use the
> software-mouse-drawn-from-a-timer at all, instead either a HW mouse or a
> mouse I draw myself (e.g. in every frame).

Then when you setup:

enable_hardware_mouse();
if(gfx_capabilities & ALLEGRO_HW_MOUSE)
    show_mouse(screen);

And when you draw:

if(!(gfx_capabilities & ALLEGRO_HW_MOUSE))
    draw_sprite(screen, mouse_sprite, mouse_x, mouse_y);

> The only difference is to avoid the little cludge where
> show_mouse() automatically enables drawing from a timer currently.

Only if you don't pass it screen or NULL.

- Kitty Cat

Regards,
Ryan Patterson <mailto:rpatters@xxxxxxxxxx>