Re: [AD] Mouse cusor documentation

On Sunday 03 October 2004 21:49, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> But I think, a GFX_HW_CURSOR_AVAILABLE flag should be added. Having to
> display the cursor just to know if it is displayed as a hardware cursor
> is very awkward in any case - and all mouse drivers know beforehand if
> they can use a hardware cursor or not, AFAICS.

Almost. For the X11 driver, the hardware mouse is available if the
ARGBCursor extension is available, which is checked when the window is
created. Windows has size restrictions on the cursor (typically, it cannot
be larger than 32x32 pixels) - so you don't know if you can display a
hardware cursor until the user passes a bitmap to set_mouse_sprite(). I
don't know about other drivers, but most of those don't have a hardware
cursor to begin with.
(Technical note: the ability to display a hardware cursor is a property of
the graphics driver, not the mouse driver).

There is no easy way to know if the system will use a hardware cursor,
although this can normally be predicted after set_mouse_sprite() has been
called.

Evert