Re: [AD] Mouse cusor documentation

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 21:04 +0200, Evert Glebbeek wrote:

> Why are you using draw_sprite() to draw the mouse in a double buffered app?
> I always use show_mouse() and this works fine... why this special case?

Hm. Not sure.. I always felt uncomfortable with the mouse being drawn
from a timer in that case. (The double buffer might actually use page
flipping or use triple buffering.. so draw_sprite is much simpler.) In
the case when a hardware cursor is available, using that would be
simpler of course. So, being able to check the availability of the HW
cursor without having to display it first would be a good thing. With
that possibility added, I agree now, it's purely different semantics.
Either have an enable/disable_hardware_cursor, which just changes the
behavior of the following show_mouse() calls and does nothing by itself.
Or a show/hide_hardware_cursor, which explicitely control the display of
the cursor.

But I think, a GFX_HW_CURSOR_AVAILABLE flag should be added. Having to
display the cursor just to know if it is displayed as a hardware cursor
is very awkward in any case - and all mouse drivers know beforehand if
they can use a hardware cursor or not, AFAICS.

--
Elias Pschernig