Re: [AD] allegro_message under X

> Hmm, kdialog makes a huge difference on my system, it not just the OK
> button :-) But it seems bare x apps such as xmessage look abnormally ugly on
> my system. So I agree it's best to just always use xmessage.

Well, I don't know.. here, there's not much difference.

> Here is another patch, to use instead of the previous one. This time only
> xmessage is tried, and I added a few more command line options to allow
> closing the dialogs with ENTER.

Ah, very nice. Having to click could have been annoying, e.g. with
things like exbitmap.

> > Hm. Yes, this indeed is bad. I think, GFX_TEXT should hide the window.
> > Does the attached patch work for you?
>
> Yes, the patch does hide the window. However, you then stop getting keyboard
> input, as expected. This is allowed by the docs, but is there no way around
> it ? Does a window really need to be visible in order to get keyboard input ?

Well, of course the window could be made invisible.. but that would be
confusing to users. They see the desktop, and still input goes to the
invisible Allegro program. Allegro doesn't guarantee that you can get
input without having set a gfx mode - I believe it is just the same in
Windows. Of course, something like: set_gfx_mode (GFX_TEXT);
allegro_message ("Bla"); set_gfx_mode (GFX_AUTODETECT); should work,
and you should automagically start receiving input again.. just as
long as you are in GFX_TEXT, you get no input.