Re: [AD] Using system mouse cursor

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
Can you try with the following patch? This actually changes nothing for me, but it may this problem for you.

Nope, changes nothing. :/

I did, however, completely rebuild AllegroGL (since that's what my program uses) and it cleared up some of the problems, but the mouse still seems to be eratic when reentering the game window. It'll stutter around, sometimes fixing itself after a few moments and other times not.

Me and Elias were discussing, before you had a chance to get on IRC.. and we think the best thing to do is remove the mouse warping hack. I think what we should do is require the user to periodically call position_mouse if they want continued movement, and either leave get_mouse_mickeys undefined when it goes past the screen edge or force it to not get movement when it does (for platforms that do get continued movement). The only places get_mouse_mickeys has ever worked right, AFAIK, is DOS, fullscreen modes in Windows (windowed modes have problems when hitting the edge of the desktop), and possibly Linux console. Everywhere else has either not worked right or required hacks to do so.

PS. BTW, what would happen if a program tracked the mouse via get_mouse_mickeys and drew it manually? Like if they want to implement some kind of mouse smoothing feature (like many FPSs do nowadays). AFAICS, the mouse would enter "mickey mode" and then get stuck in one spot. The warp hack assumes the user won't be calling get_mouse_mickeys if they're drawing it manually. Plus, it seems to have a nasty habit of making Allegro switch to drawing it in the timer and back again if conditions are "just right". IMO, the only thing that should cause it to switch back to timered drawing is an invalid (to the system) image.. having it possibly do it literally at any time is very ugly.

- Kitty Cat