Re: [AD] Using system mouse cursor

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
I did, however, completely rebuild AllegroGL (since that's what my program uses) and it cleared up some of the problems, but the mouse still seems to be eratic when reentering the game window. It'll stutter around, sometimes fixing itself after a few moments and other times not.

Are you using the mickeys at all? Or just with reading the mouse position and displaying it on the screen?

I've used the mickeys function directly and I've tried just repositioning the mouse and getting the difference myself. They both have stuttering problems, though the mickeys function moreso.

I think this makes sense for windowed mode at least. I'd like the mouse to have two modes: a mickey mode and a normal mode. Mickey mode disables the hardware cursor and re-enables the mouse warping.

I'm not sure if we can do this. Unless you want to create a function that explicitly locks the cursor to the middle of the program window and still allows movement reporting. If that's the case, then we'd still remove the warping hack as it exists now and let the get_mouse_mickeys function have undefined behavior at the window's edge.

PS. BTW, what would happen if a program tracked the mouse via get_mouse_mickeys and drew it manually? Like if they want to implement some kind of mouse smoothing feature (like many FPSs do nowadays). AFAICS, the mouse would enter "mickey mode" and then get stuck in one spot. The warp hack assumes the user won't be calling get_mouse_mickeys if they're drawing it manually.

The mouse_x and mouse_y variables (positioning Allegro's mouse) continue to be updated normally. I'm not sure if that's what you meant?

I wasn't fully aware it did that, but it would still behave differently. Under such circumstances, the mouse would not be able to leave the program window unless there was a fast mouse jerk so that it moves out of the window before Allegro catches it again, because "mickey mode" has the OS cursor locked in place.

- Kitty Cat