Re: [AD] new_api_branch news

Daniel Schlyder wrote:

Peter Wang:
Unfortunately there is no way to do it using DirectInput. DirectInput just treats the keyboard like a giant gamepad. You're supposed to use the usual Windows message system if you want typing input. I don't know if using both DirectInput and Windows messages at the same time is feasible.

I don't know how to do it, but I think SDL doesn't have a keyboard.dat
equivalent, so it must be feasible.
Hmm, I thought SDL had the same problem, but I will look again.

An incomplete solution (that still leaves out complex input systems) is to supply bunch of keyboard layouts (as we already do) but automatically pick the right one. The user should not have to edit config files.

I'm doing this in my current project using the language ID part of the
GetKeyboardLayout() return value. I guess this is what you're talking about.

Yes.

Seems to work ok, but the real problem is, of course, the variable quality
of the layout files. For example, the Norwegian layout supports the special
Norwegian letters, but not the Swedish or most other ASCII-8 characters,
although I can type these on my Norwegian keyboard.

Could you send in an improved layout, or is the problem something else?

Peter