Re: [AD] [patch] preliminary PIC support in ASM files

On Thursday 23 September 2004 19:11, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>    Here is the first part of my big PIC mode fixes for the
> assembly functions. This patch is split in two: the first is for
> src/i386/asmdefs.inc and defines convenience macros to handle global
> symbols in PI code, and the second starts the big work of modifying code
> that accesses global variables so that it uses the GOT and PLT in PIC
> mode.

Looks fine to me, but I'm no expert. One thing though:

I think that MOVL_GLOBL(cpu_capabilities, eax) would look better if it read
MOVL_GLOBL(cpu_capabilities, %eax), with the % being passed in the
argument rather than being placed in the define. Would this be doable? It
keeps the look consistent with other statements that use the % explicitly.

>    These patches change absolutely nothing to platforms not using PIC
> code (like Win32 or DOS). I will apply them to the Debian packages
> because policy requires shared libraries to be PIC.

I think we should aim to have a uniform Allegro across different
distributions, so that we don't have to keep special trees for, say,
Debian and RedHat. So unless someone objects, I'll probably go ahead and
apply your patch.

Evert