Re: [AD] Regarding backwards compatibility of 4.1.x and 4.x where x >= 2

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
At the end of Appendix E you
can find the text:

 "...but based on my experience with as recent a version as 4.1.12,
 which is not compatible with 4.0.3... I am only officially
 supporting 4.0.3..."

Which kind of contradicts the proclaimed intention, unless the non
compatibility issue is with regards to some obscure features.

Did he happen to mention what the problem was? We can't even hope to fix it if he doesn't say.

AFAICS "deprecated" tries to bring
attention to the developer that a symbol is going to disappear, but
if the developer only has to add a new include to the source code, I
would prefer if those warnings forecasting the apocalypse went away.

AFAIK, "deprecated" means no longer supported. However, I have argued for removing those warnings in the past because the deprecation warning GCC generates /will/ cause compilation to fail if the programmer uses -Werror (which is good practice durring development, IMO). And saying that the programmer doesn't have to switch to the new API (immediately) is contradictory to that.

- Kitty Cat