Re: [AD] chapters for devhelp documentation

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 08:26 +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2004-09-05, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The attached patch is a quick hack to add @chapter and @endchapter
> > commands to makedoc. (Yes, I know, adding another hack to makedoc
> > isn't the best idea :)
>
> It's ok. We will son be able to prove with it Einstein's
> gravitational fields.  At least add some description to
> docs/src/makedoc/format.txt.

Hehe. We really should look for alternatives at some point. But the
docbook thing suggested for A5 really looked ugly to me, compared to
allegro._tx.

> > What it does is adding another level to the devhelp TOC hierarchy -
> > which really makes them a lot more useable. About all other devhelp
> > docs have a deeper hierarchy than Allegro (including the SDL ones)
> > - and the Allegro docs really were very hard to navigate with
> > their multiple- pages-long TOC.
>
> Hmmm... doesn't the CHM format already do something like this? Is it
> done by the Microsoft help compiler or is it part of the makechm.c
> file? If not, just apply it. That is, if you correct the devil
> .texi format generation:

No - it's also just one big list (at least when viewed in xchm).
Actually, I'd prefer xchm to devhelp - but there's currently no way to
create CHM without running windows. This reminds me.. why is there no
CHM for allegro 4.1.15?

>  docs/makedoc -texi docs/texi/allegro.texi docs/src/allegro._tx
>  reading docs/src/allegro._tx
>  writing docs/texi/allegro.texi
>  /usr/bin/makeinfo --no-split -o docs/info/allegro.info docs/texi/allegro.texi
>  ./docs/texi/allegro.texi:136: Node `Using' lacks menu item for `install_allegro' despite being its Up target.
>  ./docs/texi/allegro.texi:136: Node `Using' lacks menu item for `allegro_init' despite being its Up target.
>  blah blah blah

Hmm. I'll look at that, seems using 0,0,0 as parameters to add_toc_line
makes texi still use the toc entry, or something :|

--
Elias Pschernig