Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

> The GIF patent has now expired worldwide. If it's not going to be added to
> the core Allegro, perhaps the FAQ page on the website should be updated to
> explain that, rather than still blaming it on the patent. The way it's
> worded at the moment suggests that GIF support will be added once the patent
> expires.

I don't think GIF should be added to the base A4 library. Its a
relatively worthless format outside of the 1990's web. I can imagine
the newbs making a sprite as a GIF animation and wanting to just load
that into a BITMAP and have it magically animated...

Anyway, I agree that the FAQ should be updated - by either removing
the entry or pointing to some GIF addons. I've got one I made myself
that can read GIFs and I've seen some other ones.

--
Matthew Leverton - matthew@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.allegro.cc