[AD] 4.0.3 Windows Platform Bug - No Windowed Modes

Hey, I was discussing this problem I was having with Allegro 4.0.3
(but not with 4.0.0) with irc.freenode.net #allegro, and they
suggested I submit this as a bug report.

It seems programs can only make fullscreen screens, and not windows.
Any attempt to make a window results in a few spazzed out window
creations/deletions and then a "Resolution not supported" error from
allegro_error.

My program ran into this error, and the grabber program runs in
fullscreen even with the -windowed tag.

I compiled the DLL and A with mingw32 3.3.1 (from Dev-C++ 5 beta 9,
aka 4.9.9.0).

Swapping the A with the 4.0.0 A had no effect, the error still occured.

I am running Windows XP Home Service Pack 1, 512mb ram, 1.5gb swap
file, with a GeForce FX 5200 (128mb ram), DirectX 9.0c.

This should be enough to reproduce the error:
#include <allegro.h>
#include <winalleg.h>

// For some reason I can't do the main() trick under Dev-C++... at
least with 4.0.0 I couldn't...
int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
  LPSTR lpszArgument, int nFunsterStil) {

  set_uformat(U_ASCII);
  allegro_init();

  set_color_depth(desktop_color_depth());
  if (set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 80 * 8, 25 * 14, 0, 0) != 0) {
    allegro_message(allegro_error);
    return 0;
  }

  allegro_message("Wtf?  I swear it doesn't work on my computer!");
  return 0;
}
// END

Also, if it ends up mattering, I called the install routines for the
keyboard and mouse modules right after allegro_init.

Again, the grabber program with the -windowed parameter also cannot
create a window.

Thanks for your time. :)