Re: [AD] Bug Found

Chris wrote:

Bobby Ferris wrote:

obj/mingw32/asmcapa.h:1: parse error before string constant
make[1]: *** [obj/mingw32/alleg/poly3d.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/MinGW/allegro'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Since I don't have Windows anymore, I can't test this, but I can take a really wild stab at the answer. Do you happen to have Unix Tools installed? Or do you have sh.exe anywhere in your path? I think what's happening is that the generation of asmcapa.h uses the echo command to fill it in, however, DOS/Windows's echo command behaves differently than a Unix shell's.

What I believe is happening is that Allegro's detecting Unix Tools, so it's using a Unix-style echo syntax:

echo "#define blahbah" > asmcapa.h

like that, which would copy what's inside the quotation marks. However you ended up using Windows's echo, which copies everything including the quotes, giving you the string literals it's complaining about.

If my hunch is right, you should go into a Unix shell prompr, do a make clean and make again. I have no idea what other files would be affected.

- Kitty Cat

yep, let me try that. But this bug should be fixed, there has got to be some way to see which echo will be used. Possibly running echo --help, if you get a help screen do it the unix way, if you dont do it the windows way?

I just did 'set UNIXTOOLS=' to undefine it, and ran make distclean (make clean didnt delete that header), and redid make all and it works.

Also this might need to be fixed:
mkdir  C:/MinGW/include/allegro
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
make[1]: *** [C:/MinGW/include/allegro] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/MinGW/allegro'

but i just left unix_tools off. And this:
md C:\MinGW\include\allegro\platform
A subdirectory or file C:\MinGW\include\allegro\platform already exists.
make[1]: *** [C:/MinGW/include/allegro/platform] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/MinGW/allegro'
make: *** [installall] Error 2

you can just add a - or whatever before the md command. But i will do what i had to do last time and install the lib files and dlls by hand ;)