Re: [AD] New possible driver and accelerated features?

> I was just thinking. Given todays computers and the capabilities of the
> video cards, would you people object to adding a few more hw accelerated
> functions?

Certainly not. More hardware acceleration would be very cool to have in my
opinion.

> vram->vram stretch blit
> and
> vram->vram masked stretch blit

Sounds good.

> As for a new (gfx) driver idea, what about a DirectX 9 (or even 7 or 8)
> driver that's seperate from the current one? I don't use Windows
> anymore, but given the advantages that 7/8/9 have over 3 (or 2?), I
> think having a newer version available would be well worth it, even if
> it is a seperate driver.

I like this idea. I don't think we need cutting-edge DX9, but DX7 or DX8
should be fine.
It depends on what DX SDK is available for MinGW I guess... I think I have
version 7, but it's been a while since I checked that.
Regardless, this driver will not work on Windows NT (and I think the newer
DXes don't work on Windows 95 either), which probably isn't much of a
restriction for practical purposes anymore. Worst case, the driver could
detect the obsolete OS and fail.

Evert