Re: [AD] Prefixing

Don't want to put up here more FUD on the future of Allegro, but I thought I had to share my thoughts.

If I was to go back in time, my advice would be:

1. Prefixing is overrated, get over it.  Really.

As already said by others, a prefixed API looks cleaner, so I'm all for it. Its main advantage though remains it reduces namespace clashing, which may always occur with the current API.

2. Improve the API incrementally. Maintain compatibility wherever reasonable.

Ok, as long as we don't get into the "stagnate" loop. When I said I wanted a push towards breaking with the past, I primarly meant it as a way to speed up development. I see the point in keeping compatibility but to a certain degree.

3. If you want design an API from scratch, DON'T CALL IT "ALLEGRO" and
DON'T CLAIM TO BE A SUCCESSOR. Either it is a complete lie, or you risk starving necessary resources from the original. Build up your own community
  (this is the hard part, not the coding).  Don't be a parasite.

Well, we've all seen a possible fork has already started, AllegroPro. Personally I'd like more radical approaches to the *Allegro* development, because I'd love to see it as a viable alternative for high-end development under modern systems; but I see it can take time for important changes to be applied.

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx