Re: [AD] alsamidi fix

Elias Pschernig wrote:
Don't use the aRts driver, I think it was ;)
As I recall, the problem was related to the aRts driver trying to deinitialize itself multiple times, which results in a crash. I think there was a work around applied for that, but I could be wrong.

Hm, so should we disable the aRts driver? It seems to cause the problem
in your case, and probably for every KDE user. There was also someone on
[Allegro] recently who experienced much lag, until somehow switching off
aRts.

I was the one who proposed a solution. The problem was indeed related to arts being deinitialized twice. It only appears on recent version of arts (3.2.x), and eric commited a patch that's supposed to have fixed it. Anyway, as Evert is using the ALSA driver, this shouldn't be relevant.

For the record, on my version of arts (3.2.2), the allegro's ARTS driver just crashes. I haven't investigated too deep, but I think it's when allegro tries to reinitialize arts after having shut it down. I suppose this is a bug in arts, and I've stopped using it with allegro. But even though it's not functionning properly, I don't think we should disable it because it should work fine with older versions of KDE. Having allegro use it as a last ressort should be enough.

Maybe there's a way to prefer Alsa even if aRts is running?

In the allegro directory, there is a file called modules.lst. In it, alsadigi appears at the end, after artsdigi. Assuming allegro follows the order of this list to autodetect available drivers, putting alsa above arts would do the trick. However, I don't think there's a way to have OSS detected before arts, because OSS support is built in the library (no module). Unless, of course, allegro is made to try builtin drivers before modules...

--
Julien Cugnière