Re: [AD] Remove -pipe

Eric, what is your reason for NOT wanting the -pipe parameter? Has it done
some harm?

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 21:59, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> What would be the policy?

Eric would have proposed the patch, asked for comments, waited for Henrik's,
and quite probably rejected it. Alternatively, if no one complained, the
patch would be added to CVS maybe in a few days' time, or more quickly if
someone praised it.

> Some patches are here for days without
> comments..

Then use a bug tracker or patch tracker. Sf.net provides both.

> (And stop already about that closebox function, it was
> admitted to have been as mistake already long ago :P)

The close box function was merely an example. The underlying problem evidently
persists. Eric assumed he was able to properly consider the ramifications of
a patch without anyone else's input.

> Probably there was
> also some time between applying it to CVS and the release it was
> contained in. And it's fixed now - so there was one WIP with that
> function removed - where is the problem with that? We have CVS -> WIP ->
> stable. So adding something to CVS shouldn't be a problem at all, as
> long as it is posted here - it makes it easy to test, and then discuss,
> and fix/revert before the next WIP.

On a technicality, a patch was just applied to the mainline. I am under the
impression "mainline" means "not WIP", making it CVS -> stable in this case.
Tell me if I'm mistaken.

If you are claiming that the amount of testing going on is an excuse for us
not to consider patches properly, I should just give up now.

> Just look how many outstanding patches (e.g. KCat's) were posted and
> scrolling out of my mail reader's window.. if in CVS, they would have
> been tested more already.

As I said, use trackers. The patches won't be forgotten, and if they're
appropriate, they will be added to CVS for testing.

My last post, and this one, are intended to encourage Allegro to be developed
more professionally. Thanks for making me feel as if I'm doing the right
thing.

Ben