Re: [AD] xwin color-conversion (testers wanted)

"Eric Botcazou" <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we can simply check that the format is supported by the generic
> routines and, if it is not, piggyback on the routines in xwin.c.

at least for me, BGR is the case. attached is a patch which implements
assembler color conversion in a blindfolded way. i'd like as much people as
possible to test it and report back. use my private email so we avoid
cluttering up the mailinglist with unneccessary emails.

- apply patch in src/x/ (cvs or wip version of allegro)
- put colconv.c, icolconv.s and ccolconv.c in makefile.lst in the xwindows
section.
- make depend, make and make install.
- run extruecol with xwindows (!) driver. tell me if red is actually red in
all colordepths.

if it turns out that xwindows visuals are BGR for everyone, there wouldn't
be much sense in adding support for the generic color-conversion. that
doesn't mean i can try speeding up the existing fast visual methods though.

also attached is timings with and without the patch. just to give you all an
idea on how fast it is possible to make the color conversion. all best-case
of course.

> When the visual is paletted and the Allegro color format is not, we have:
>
>  Allegro color space   _xwin.cmap     visual          _xwin.colormap
screen
RGB

Take a look at _xwin_private_fast_palette_16_to_32 for instance, where the
destination is not 8 bit, but in fact 32 bit. What puzzles me is that the
visual can be paletted but not 8 bit.

Sincerely Henrik Stokseth.