Re: [AD] Sound API

Lennart Steinke wrote:
So, I'd say drop the DX mixer - or do we have any benefits from using it?

Currently there is. It can potentially take advantage of hw mixing if the DirectSound driver Windows has allows it. However, due to the way it does it, it leaves the system very inflexible as well as preventing other drivers from using hw mixing (like ALSA). After my changes are fully realized, you'll be able to have hw mixing and be able to control the amount of hardware voices used *and* always have the sound system work as intended no matter which driver is used (for example, accessing audio_stream->smp->data will normally give you the audio data being mixed (useful for real-time visualization), but when using the DX mixer you'll only see a silent stream). It's basically a case of: take a little now, or be patient and get a lot later. Currently, Allegro just wants that little bit now.

- Kitty Cat