Re: [AD] Allegro's mixer

Ben Davis wrote:

Anyway, yeah, I welcome the changes - although perhaps we should go flat-out for 32-bit mixing if we're doing final-stage conversion at all?

Currently volumes use 16-bit precision, any sample size above 16-bit would potentially cause an overflow of the 32-bit registers (x-bit * y-bit == (x+y)-bit). You could change to use 8-bit volume precision then you could do 24-bit streams, but that's about it. You can't use 64-bit or floating-point math, since the mixer is run in a timer, and according to scale64() in digmid.c: "it is impossible to reliably lock the compiler helpers that implement a 64 bit divide, and it isn't safe to use the i386 FPU stack in an interrupt context."

- Kitty Cat