Re: [AD] [BUG?] X11 Windowed driver delay...

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 13:58, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > Heh, I can imagine that :P Since the alsa5 and alsa9 code was splitted,
> > I had no more excuse to not look at it - and I finally got it to work :)
>
> Well done.  Great!  WUNDERBAR! :-)

Well, I hope to hear from anyone yet if it is working, right now I only
tested it here. Thomas got cut from the net until Monday still since he
went over his bandwidth limit, I think.. :) It would be good to know if
it also works for him and fixes the problem mentioned in the name of
this thread.

> > I'm still wondering though if a simple threaded version wouldn't be a
> > better idea. Is anyone still needing the unix-signals version of
> > Allegro? Not even AllegGL works with that version, so I guess ALSA
> > doesn't have to either.
>
> We need to keep the signals version until Allegro w/threads is thread-safe.

Hm, yes, guess there's no reason to remove it - and I'm not sure why
AllegroGL doesn't work with the signals version anyway. And I could
always have done it like the SGIAL driver, which uses a thread with
pthreads and otherwise doesn't - but then there would be even more code.

> OK for mainline with these changes.  I'll not upload the release until Monday
> morning so don't hesitate to post corrective patches until then.  And we
> could delay the release a bit if necessary.

Ok, commited with the mentioned changes.

> > Regarding Allegro 4.1.13 - if this gets included despite the freeze, we
> > should still leave it at low priority I think - since OSS works just as
> > good.
>
> Yes, but the main purpose of WIP releases is to test new stuff.  So if ALSA
> and OSS work equally well, I'd say that ALSA should be the default.  Do you
> have any strong objection?

No, I agree. It's just, as long as it was only tested on one machine,
that could be the only one where it is working..

> Many thanks again for your work on this ALSA stuff.

Hm, yeah.. when I hit the 5 line limit in the thanks file long ago I
should have stopped hacking around in Allegro's code :)

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>