Re: [AD] dat

On 2004-02-26, Hein Zelle <hein@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I also wouldn't mind if --descriptive style options were added, but
> > this has already been discussed before and there were problems with
> > it that I don't really remember at the moment. Perhaps with the
> > options as crowded as they are this should be reexamined.
>
> If all the letters are about exhausted, I think it's a very good idea
> to reconsider and start adding --long-format options. They're easily
> recognizable because of the --, you can still use -abf and mean -a -b
> -f, and they're starting to be very widely used (in unix programs, at
> least). I think readability will be much improved too, apart from
> making space for future options.

A short term solution would be to specify more parameters using
Allegro's configuration routines. After all, you usually want to run dat
from a makefile to rebuild your .dat files when graphics change. Popular
options, or just those which are now could be preserved as command line
switches, and new ones added as config file parameters.

Talking about unix phylosophy, commands should do one task and do it
well, so maybe dat is suffering from option bloat (like noted in the bug
section of bash/mpage man pages).