Re: [AD] dat

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 05:13:21PM +1300, Nathan Smith wrote:
> yes, when I discovered '-r' was taken I was mildly annoyed. Every single
> letter has been taken except for '-y' and '-z' and niether of those said
> 'recursively add new folders' to me. '-R' wouldn't work either as the
> options to dat are case insensitive. Since '-+' didn't take your fancy,
> I have choosen '-af' as my next choice. (since it is 'add folders')

I don't really like `add folder' personally, since I don't think of directories
as folders. In other words, -af doesn't really spell recurse subdirectory to
me either.
Also, I'm not sure that dat wouldn't interpret -af as -a -f, which I would
expect it to do personally. Looking at the man pages, I see that zip and ls
already use -R to specify recursive directories, so I would instead recommend
that dat be made case-sensitive.
I also wouldn't mind if --descriptive style options were added, but this has
already been discussed before and there were problems with it that I don't
really remember at the moment. Perhaps with the options as crowded as they are
this should be reexamined.

Evert