Re: [AD] ALLEGRO_USE_C on Windows

> It seems that Allegro still needs to build .s files on Windows, even if
> the C only version of the library is requested - or am I missing
> something?

No, you're right.

> It is no big deal for me personally, but it seems to me inconsistent.

Sort of.  The docs say "Allows you to build the library using C drawing code
instead of the usual asm routines".

> The main benefit would probably be insignificant - it would be possible to
> build Allegro with MSVC only, but without the hand-optimized code and
> therefore likely slower.

Yes, and the C-only DLL would be incompatible with the regular DLL because of
simplified asm calling conventions for bitmaps.

> On the other hand, it may be easier for newbies who insist on compiling the
> library themselves but can't be bothered to install MinGW.

There is a trickier dependency on GCC: the makefiles use very long command
lines that regular Win32 apps can't grok.  You need a stub compiled with GCC
to properly handle them.

--
Eric Botcazou