Re: [AD] Unknown joystick axis problem under Windows

Now replying to myself...

[...]
Problem:
The problem is that Allegro reports two sticks axis that
are never in center position. I don't even know what those
sticks are, and they do not correspond to anything I can
manipulate with my joysticks.
[...]

By looking at src\win\wjoydx.c and src\win\wjoyhelp.c, those
two axis seems to be sliders, as reported by DirectInput.
DirectInput/joystick driver might be in fault reporting
them (since my joystick do not have any), I don't know.

It is an accurate description to say that a slider is "an
axis that does not automatically recenter" ?

In such case, I would say that sliders may be treated
differently by both Allegro and users.
Does converting the 'pos' analogue value to directional
flags ('d1' and 'd2') has any meaning for a slider?

If untouched by the user, a slider would be permanently
considered as going to left (d1) or right (d2) by the
program. Which meaning may not be considered as accurate
here.

One solution may be to add a flag to distinguish sliders.
Since there was no way to distinguish them before, it won't
break any code.

What do you think ?
I am missing an important point regarding sliders ?

Omar Cornut