Re: [AD] Allegro and OpenGL

* Jason Winnebeck <gillius@xxxxxxxxxx> [2003-12-15 13:27:20 -0500]:

Hi folks,

> I think Allegro 5 should be redesigned to be able to use DirectDraw or
> OpenGL (or Direct3D if someone wanted to program it).  I don't use
> Allegro anymore because it's just not modern enough.  I would use OpenGL
> or Direct3D to do 2D graphics now.

Well, if we're thinking about complete api redesign, we should also
carefully think about other similar projects like SDL. Perhaps a good
long time strategy could be migrating both together.

I've not compared the functionality of both packages yet, but I'm
sure there's quite much redundant funtionality. We should talk on that.

If we're going to do something completely new, i've got some things
I'd really like to implement (although they do not really belong into
allegro, but into some layer under it):

* memory management
    --> pooled memory allocator with garbage collector and type support

* dynamic module loader
    --> load on call, etc

* version management and distribution utils
    --> i.e. for live-CD game distros, etc.

* open device configuration framework
    --> users should have to do configuration only once for all
        alleg based applications/games.

* virtual filesystem
    --> modular userland VFS which also supports features beside traditional
        filesystems (multiple view / structured document access, network
	protocols, ...)

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@xxxxxxxxxx
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/