Re: [AD] Libtoolization?

On 2003-10-23, Eric <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Should we switch to using libtool on mainline for the Unix port? We have at
> least a pretext (see bug #704903 on SF's tracker).
>
> Does anyone know how much of a change that would be wrt to the current
> makefile machinery?

Well, George did say this in 2002.

    If you do want to try it, I think it shouldn't be too hard to
    convert Allegro to use libtool, if you drop the unportable
    command line switches (though maybe they do work on gcc, in
    which case the current configure machinery can handle it
    already).  I don't think I'd go anywhere near using libtool to
    generate executables; it generates the executable in a
    subdirectory and a shell script in the current directory which
    you're meant to use to invoke it...  The idea is to support
    linking against shared libraries that aren't installed yet and
    aren't in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

    The other thing libtool does is it automatically generates both
    static and shared libraries (if both are available on the target
    platform).  This is kind of nice, it's very transparent, but it
    makes some of Allegro's configuration redundant.  But then if
    you don't use libtool to link your executables and don't install
    the libraries, you do need to know which it generated (you need
    the path to the library).

About libtool'ing in general, well, I dunno.  Whenever I've played with
projects using libtool, it's always felt a hinderance to development and
testing.  I dunno why it has to go about things so strangely (dumbly),
and create so many bloody files (a problem common to the rest of the
damned GNU build tools).  Unfortunately, the problem is addresses is
real, so I can't dismiss it entirely.  That would be so much easier :-)

--
王浩禎