Re: [AD] legal stuff: patents

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:13:02AM +0100, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:

<snip>
> > You should probably know, that in Europe Software Patents are
> > illegal (but nevertheless > 30.000 of them - mostly very trivial and
> > broad have been granted - against the law). Now the European
> > Commission,
>
> I do, but some people are above the law. Or, rather, above the
> application of the law. It's been years since those patents were
> accepted.

We have do evrything we can, to prevent legalization of software patents.

Would it be ok, if the allegro project votes against software patents
and shows this on its websites ?

<snip>
> I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done apart from sending a
> large petition to the parliament.
We have much chances. The FFII is doing great work for 2 years now,
and we've reached quite much, i.e. the parlament's vote has been moved
multi times by our protest.

At the moment our job is to get more and more people on our side and
make the protest louder and louder. It seems that the decision will
be moved some more times, so we have some time to do much publicity work.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@xxxxxxxxxx
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/